Faculty: Becca Kalivas, RN BSN
Successful Completion: Complete entire module, complete the exam with a passing score of 80% or better, and complete the evaluation form.
Estimated Time to Complete Activity: 60 minutes.
CEUs: HIPAA Exams is authorized by IACET to offer 0.1 CEUs for this program. CEU Information
Free Certification of Completion available instantly for download or printing upon successful completion.
The purpose of this educational, self-study training module is to ensure your understanding of health care-wide hazards including electrical and fire safety in health care facilities.
Course includes a video and audio component with stand-alone exam
- Discuss what is required of your facility in terms of fire safety.
- Explain the acronyms R-A-C-E and P-A-S-S and know how to carry them out in a fire.
- List emergency action and fire prevention plans.
- Identify strategies for minimizing electrical hazards in your facility.
This course is designed for individuals who provide patient care in a healthcare setting, including doctors, nurses and respiratory therapists. This course is also intended for Health Care Industry Representatives for the purposes of vendor credentialing.
Table of Contents
Fire and Electrical Safety
Table of Contents:
- Prevention of Healthcare-Wide Hazards: Electrical and Fire Safety
- Legal Notice
- Purpose and Learning Objectives
- Fire and Electrical Safety in the Healthcare Field
- OSHA Fire Safety Requirements in Health Care Facilities
- Adequate Exit Routes Must be Available
- Emergency Action Plan
- Fire Prevention Plan
- Fire Protection Systems
- How Fires Start and How to Respond
- The Fire Triangle
- Precautions to Avoid Fires in Healthcare Facilities
- What Should You Do in a Fire Emergency?
- How Do You Use a Fire Extinguisher?
- Right Fire Extinguisher for Right Situation
- Electrical Safety in Health Care Facilities
- Electricity: The Basics
- Tips for Keeping Safe
- What to Look for When Inspecting Equipment
- What Should You Do if Someone Near You Receives an Electrical Shock?
- What Happens if Your Healthcare Facilities Loses Power?
- End of Course Quiz
Course Content Example 1:
Fire and Electrical Safety in the Healthcare Field
Having a good understanding of fire and electrical safety is important for all professions, but it is particularly important for those working in the hospital and healthcare facilities for a few reasons:
- Patients may be unable to get out of harm's way due to illness or injury
- Healthcare facilities have an increased risk of fire due to things that are commonly found within them, such as oxygen and medical equipment
To help prevent fires from occurring and to protect patients and staff, the Joint Commissions (JC) and the United States Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) have developed safety standards for healthcare facilities.
- These are based on the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Life Safety Code
- Your facility is responsible to meet these standards and provide training to employees
- You are responsible to use your training and fulfill your duties in a fire or other emergency
Course Content Example 2:
The Fire Triangle
Three elements are needed for a fire to occur:
- When these come together in proper amounts, a fire can occur
- All three elements are commonly seen in healthcare facilities:
- Fuel from alcohol-based hand sanitizer to linens and ointments, there are many sources of fuel
- Oxygen Its in the air we breathe, but it is present in high levels in medical oxygen
- Heat Lasers, medical equipment, cigarettes, and cooking are all sources of heat
- Being aware of how fires can start is helpful in learning how to prevent them
Course Content Example 3:
How Do You Use a Fire Extinguisher?
Remember the acronym P_A_S_S
PULL - Pull the pin or release the latch from the fire extinguisher. AIM - Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire from about 6 to 10 feet away. SQUEEZE - Squeeze the handle in bursts of several seconds. SWEEP - Sweep the extinguisher from side to side across the base of the fire.
Download Certificate of Completion Immediately
3 Attempts to Pass Your Exam
Instant Access: 100% Online - Access 24/7 from Anywhere
No Recurring Fees