Faculty: Becca Kalivas, RN, MS
Successful Completion: Complete entire module, complete the exam with a passing score of 80% or better, and complete the evaluation form.
Estimated Time to Complete Activity: 60 minutes.
CEUs: HIPAA Exams is authorized by IACET to offer 0.1 CEUs for this program. CEU Information
Free Certification of Completion available instantly for download or printing upon successful completion.
This online HIPAA refresher training course is designed to refresh Health Care Workers on HIPAA Privacy, HIPAA Security, and the Enforcement of HIPAA violations. This course should only be taken if you've taken our HIPAA for Healthcare Workers course previously. HIPAA training is required yearly to meet HIPAA compliance.
Includes 2021/2022 Updates - ONC 21st Cures Act Final Rule and the CMS Final Rule
Course includes a video and audio component with stand-alone
Receive HIPAA Certification "Certificate of Completion" with successful completion
- Explain the key elements of HIPAA Privacy Rule, Security Rule, Breach Notification Rule and Enforcement Rule.
- Identify ways to maintain compliance with HIPAA in daily practice as Business Associate to a Covered Entity.
- Describe the most recent updates to HIPAA since the Final Omnibus Rule
This refresher course is designed for all healthcare workers who are directly involved in medical treatment of patients - including, but not limited too, medical students, physicians, nurses, chiropractor, medical staff, hospital staff, pharmacy staff, etc. This course should only be taken by those who have completed our HIPAA for Healthcare Workers course previously.
Table of Contents
HIPAA Refresher for Healthcare Workers
(HIPAA Privacy, Security, and Enforcement Training)
Table of Contents:
- HIPAA Refresher for Healthcare Workers
- Legal Notice
- HIPAA: Why Do I Need a Refresher?
- Who Must Abide by HIPAA?
- HIPAA Privacy Rule
- "Minimum Necessary" Principal
- Permitted Use and Disclosure of PHI
- Incidental Use and Disclosure of PHI
- Authorized Use and Disclosure of PHI
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- Individual Rights Under the Privacy Rule
- ONC Cures Act Final Rule - 2021/2022 Update
- CMS Final Rule - 2021/2022 Update
- Ensuring Privacy Rule Compliance
- Additional Privacy Rule Considerations
- HIPAA Privacy Rule Scenarios
- HIPAA Security Rule
- Safeguards in Daily Practice
- HIPAA Security Rule Scenario
- HIPAA Breach Notification
- What if a Breach is Discovered?
- HIPAA Enforcement Rule
- HIPAA Enforcement Rule Penalties
- Real Life Examples of HIPAA Breach and Violations
- Recent Updates to HIPAA
- HIPAA Compliance Checklist
- End of Course Exam
Course Content Example 1:
Why Do I Need a Refresher?
Created over 20 years ago, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) continues to play a significant role in the everyday practice of health care professionals and their business associates.
Maintaining the privacy and security of patient information is more challenging than ever with the increased use of portable electronic devices, such as laptops and mobile phones.
Modifications have been made to HIPAA over time as a result of the HITECH Act of 2009 and the Omnibus Final Rule of 2013.
These changes included:
- Strengthened existing HIPAA requirements for Privacy and Security
- Expanded individual's rights relating to their PHI
- Increased enforcement of HIPAA, including higher fines for non-compliance
- Addressed notification for breaches of PHI
Course Content Example 2:
What if a Breach is Discovered?
If an employee discovers a potential breach of PHI, it should be reported immediately to the Privacy Officer
All possible attempts should be made to remedy the breach
If a Risk Assessment determines that a notification is needed:
- Notify the affected individuals within 60 days
- File a report with the Secretary of Department of Health and Human Services
- Notify the media if more than 500 individuals were affected
Download Certificate of Completion Immediately
3 Attempts to Pass Your Exam
Instant Access: 100% Online - Access 24/7 from Anywhere
No Recurring Fees