HIPAA Refresher for Business Associates
Price Per Person
8 AM - 4 PM MST (M-F)
Faculty: Becca Kalivas, RN, MS
This refresher course includes HIPAA Privacy, HIPAA Security/Confidentiality, HITECH and Omnibus Rule in a single learning module. It also covers the Enforcement Rule which oversees all HIPAA violations. This refresher course should only be taken if our HIPAA for Business Associate Course has already been taken previously. HIPAA training is required yearly to meet HIPAA compliance.
- Includes 2020/2021 Updates - ONC and CMS Final Rules
HIPAA stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act and is a U.S. federal law. This course provides a refresher look at HIPAA legislation as it applies to a Business Associate. The Omnibus Final Rule greatly increased Business Associates’ liabilities related to HIPAA compliance. To ensure privacy of protected health information and to avoid potential civil and criminal penalties, it is imperative that Business Associates have a solid understanding of this complex legislation.
Course includes a video and audio component with stand-alone exam
Receive HIPAA Certification "Certificate of Completion" with successful completion
How to Purchase
To enroll in this course, simply add the number of users you need below and ADD TO CART. Follow the steps for CHECKOUT which will include registering your account.
- Explain the key elements of HIPAA Privacy Rule, Security Rule, Breach Notification Rule and Enforcement Rule.
- Identify ways to maintain compliance with HIPAA in daily practice as Business Associate to a Covered Entity.
- Describe the most recent updates to HIPAA since the Final Omnibus Rule and how they impact a Business Associate's responsibility and liability.
This refresher course is designed for anyone who falls under the Business Associate category, and who have already completed our HIPAA for Business Associate course previously. Those positions which fall under this category include, but not limited too, medical billing, medical transcription, software/IT companies, answering services, consultants, marketing agencies, cleaning services, medical device manufactures, legal services, etc.
Table of Contents
HIPAA Refresher for Business Associates
(HIPAA Privacy, Security, and Enforcement Training)
Table of Contents:
- HIPAA Refresher for Business Associates
- Legal Notice
- HIPAA: Why Do I Need a Refresher?
- Who Must Abide by HIPAA?
- Business Associates and the Final Rule
- Expanded Definition of Business Associate
- Business Associate Agreement
- HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Privacy Rule for Business Associate
- Permitted Use and Disclosure of PHI
- “Minimum Necessary” Principal
- Business Associate and Privacy Rule Scenario
- Individual Rights Under the Privacy Rule
- ONC Final Rule - 2020/2021 Update
- CMS Final Rule - 2020/2021 Update
- HIPAA Security Rule
- Safeguards in Daily Practice
- HIPAA Breach Notification Rule
- What if a Breach is Discovered?
- HIPAA Enforcement Rule
- HIPAA Enforcement Rule – Penalties
- Liabilities for Violations
- Real Life Examples of HIPAA Violations by Business Associates
- Recent Updates to HIPAA
- End of Course Exam
Course Content Example 1:
Why Do I Need a Refresher?
Created over 20 years ago, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) continues to play a significant role in the everyday practice of health care professionals and their business associates.
Maintaining the privacy and security of patient information is more challenging than ever with the increased use of portable electronic devices, such as laptops and mobile phones.
Modifications have been made to HIPAA over time as a result of the HITECH Act of 2009 and the Omnibus Final Rule of 2013.
These changes included:
- Strengthened existing HIPAA requirements for Privacy and Security
- Expanded individual’s rights relating to their PHI
- Increased enforcement of HIPAA, including higher fines for non-compliance
- Addressed notification for breaches of PHI
Course Content Example 2:
Business Associates and the Final Rule
The Final Rule imposed significant changes for Business Associates, including:
- The definition of a Business Associate was expanded
- Business Associates became directly liable for certain provisions of the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules
- Previously, Business Associates were only liable to their Covered Entity according to the terms of their Business Associates Agreement (BAA)
Instant Certificate Of Completion Printing Upon Successful Completion Of HIPAA Refresher for Business Associates
Free Retakes on Exam Until You Pass
Instant Access: 100% Online - Access 24/7 from Anywhere
No Recurring Fees