Successful Completion: Complete entire module, complete the exam with a passing score of 80% or better, and complete the evaluation form
Estimated Time to Complete Activity: 60 minutes System Requirements
CEUs: HIPAA Exams is authorized by IACET to offer 0.1 CEUs for this program.
OVERVIEWThe purpose of this self-study module is to increase your understanding of the Physician Payments Sunshine Act and Open Payments. For those working in the healthcare industry as manufacturers, distributors, and Group Purchasing Organizations, and those working as healthcare providers, it is important to have a solid understanding of how this legislation requires their financial relationship to be disclosed.
Course includes a video and audio component with stand-alone exam.
- Explain the purpose of the Physician Payments Sunshine Act/ Open Payments
- Identify who must participate in this program
- Recall what types of payments and transfers of value must be reported to CMS
- Discuss the process for participation in Open Payments, including data submission, attestation, and dispute
- Review penalties for non-compliance
Commonly referred to as: The Sunshine Act and The Sunshine Act: A Guide for Healthcare Providers
Sunshine Act Training
Table of Contents:
- Physician Payments Sunshine Act and Open Payments
- Legal Notice
- Purpose of Course
- Learning Objectives
- What is the Physician Payments Sunshine Act?
- What is the Purpose of Open Payments?
- Who Must Participate in Open Payments?
- Important Dates for Open Payments
- Who Must Be Report On?
- Open Payments Reporting Requirements
- What Must be Reported?
- Direct vs. Indirect Payment
- Research Payments
- Ownership and Investment Interest
- What Information Must be Included in the Report?
- Nature of Payment
- What is Excluded from Reporting?
- Open Payments Reporting Process
- How Does Registration for Open Payment Work?
- Setting Up User Roles in Open Payments
- Data Submission and Attestation Process in Open Payments
- Dispute and Correction Process
- Audits and Penalties
- End of Course Exam
Course Content Example 1:
What is the Physician Payments Sunshine Act?
The Sunshine Act requires manufacturers of drugs, medical devices, biologicals and medical supplies to report hospitals to the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) payments or other items of value that are made to physicians and teaching hospitals
The act is also known as Section 6002 of the Affordable Care Act
CMS implemented the Open Payments program to create a system to manage the annual reporting of these disclosures
The data collected by CMS is made accessible to the public each year
Course Content Example 2:
Direct vs. Indirect Payment
Both direct and indirect payment or transfers of value made to physicians or teaching hospitals by applicable manufactures or GPOs must be reported
Direct Payments refer to when a payment or transfer of value is given directly to the physician or teaching hospital by the applicable manufacture or GPO
Indirect Payments refer to when a payment or transfer of value is given to a physician or teaching hospital through a third party, as they have been directed to by an applicable manufacturer or GPO or
When a payment or transfer of value is made to a third party as designated by a physician
- Instant Certificate Of Completion Printing Upon Successful Completion Of Sunshine Act Training
- Free Retakes on Exam Until You Pass
- Instant Access: 100% Online - Access 24/7 from Anywhere
- No Recurring Fees