Faculty: Erin Azuse, RN BSN
Successful Completion: Complete entire module, complete the exam with a passing score of 80% or better, and complete the evaluation form.
Estimated Time to Complete Activity: 60 minutes.
CEUs: HIPAA Exams is authorized by IACET to offer 0.1 CEUs for this program. CEU Information
Free Certification of Completion available instantly for download or printing upon successful completion.
The purpose of this self-study module is to increase your understanding of the Physician Payments Sunshine Act and Open Payments. For those working in the healthcare industry as manufacturers, distributors, and Group Purchasing Organizations, and those working as healthcare providers, it is important to have a solid understanding of how this legislation requires their financial relationship to be disclosed.
Course includes a video and audio component with stand-alone exam.
Course includes all 2021 updates to Sunshine Act.
How to Purchase
To enroll in this course, simply add the number of users you need below and ADD TO CART. Follow the steps for CHECKOUT which will include registering your account.
This demo video is a small example of this course’s content, it is not representative of the full course and the level of engagement required.
- Explain the purpose of the Physician Payments Sunshine Act/ Open Payments
- Identify who must participate in this program
- Recall what types of payments and transfers of value must be reported to CMS
- Discuss the process for participation in Open Payments, including data submission, attestation, and dispute
- Review penalties for non-compliance
Table of Contents
Commonly referred to as: The Sunshine Act and The Sunshine Act: A Guide for Healthcare Providers
Sunshine Act Training
Table of Contents:
- Physician Payments Sunshine Act and Open Payments
- Legal Notice
- Purpose of Course
- Learning Objectives
- What is the Physician Payments Sunshine Act?
- What is the Purpose of Open Payments?
- Who Must Participate in Open Payments? - updated for 2021
- Important Dates for Open Payments - updated for 2021
- Who Must Be Report On? - updated for 2021
- Open Payments Reporting Requirements
- What Must be Reported? - updated for 2021
- Direct vs. Indirect Payment
- Research Payments
- Ownership and Investment Interest
- What Information Must be Included in the Report? - updated for 2021
- Nature of Payment - updated for 2021
- What is Excluded from Reporting?
- Open Payments Reporting Process
- How Does Registration for Open Payment Work?
- Setting Up User Roles in Open Payments - updated for 2021
- Data Submission and Attestation Process in Open Payments - updated for 2021
- Dispute and Correction Process
- Audits and Penalties
- End of Course Exam
Course Content Example 1:
What is the Physician Payments Sunshine Act?
The Sunshine Act requires manufacturers of drugs, medical devices, biologicals and medical supplies to report hospitals to the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) payments or other items of value that are made to physicians and teaching hospitals
The act is also known as Section 6002 of the Affordable Care Act
CMS implemented the Open Payments program to create a system to manage the annual reporting of these disclosures
The data collected by CMS is made accessible to the public each year
Course Content Example 2:
What Must Be Reported?
There categories of payments exists:
- General Payments
- Refresh's to payments and transfers of value that are not made in connection with a research agreement or protocol
- Research Payments
- Must be subject to a written agreement or research protocol to qualify
- Ownership and Investment Interests
- Includes any physical ownership or investment in a medical manufacturer, distributor, or GPO
Course Content Example 3:
Direct vs. Indirect Payments
Both direct and indirect payment or transfers of value made to physicians or teaching hospitals by applicable manufactures or GPOs must be reported
Direct Payments refer to when a payment or transfer of value is given directly to the physician or teaching hospital by the applicable manufacture or GPO
Indirect Payments refer to when a payment or transfer of value is given to a physician or teaching hospital through a third party, as they have been directed to by an applicable manufacturer or GPO or
When a payment or transfer of value is made to a third party as designated by a physician
Instant Certificate Of Completion Printing Upon Successful Completion Of Sunshine Act Training
Free Retakes on Exam Until You Pass
Instant Access: 100% Online - Access 24/7 from Anywhere
No Recurring Fees
Train Anywhere, Anytime
Courses can be accessed from any internet device at anytime.