Faculty: Becca Kalivas, RN, MS
Successful Completion: Complete entire module, complete the exam with a passing score of 80% or better, and complete the evaluation form.
Estimated Time to Complete Activity: 90 minutes.
CEUs: HIPAA Exams is authorized by IACET to offer 0.2 CEUs for this program. CEU Information
Free Certification of Completion available instantly for download or printing upon successful completion.
This course is designed to provide Health Care Industry Representatives with a solid understanding of HIPAA legislation. Though Health Care Industry Representatives will have varying levels of access to Protected Health Information, it is extremely important that they understand how to provide for the privacy and security of this sensitive information.
Includes 2021/2022 Updates - ONC 21st Cures Act Final Rule and the CMS Final Rule
Course includes a video and audio componentwith stand-alone exam
- Describe the purpose of HIPAA legislation
- Explain the changes implemented by the Omnibus Final Rule
- Identify the key elements of the Privacy, Security, and Enforcement Rule
- Explain the process for Breach Notification
- Illustrate how HIPAA affects his/her role as a Health Care Industry Representitive
Medical Device Sales and Service Professionals, Medical Equipment Sales and Service Professionals, Pharma Sales Professionals
Table of Contents
HIPAA for HCIRs (Sales Professionals)
(HIPAA Privacy, Security, and Enforcement Training)
Table of Contents:
- HIPAA for Health Industry Representative
- Legal Notice
- Purpose of Course
- What is HIPAA?
- Who Must Abide by HIPAA Rules?
- Covered Entities
- Business Associates
- Expanded Definition of Business Associates
- Business Associates Agreements
- How does this Apply to a Health Care Industry Representative?
- HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Permitted Use and Disclosure of PHI
- Incidental Use and Disclosure of PHI
- Authorized Use and Disclosure of PHI
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- Individual Rights Under the Privacy Rule
- ONC Cures Act Final Rule - 2021/2022 Update
- CMS Final Rule - 2021/2022 Update
- "Minimum Necessary" Principal
- Additional Means of Ensuring Privacy Rule Compliance
- HIPAA Security Rule
- Administrative Safeguards
- Physical Safeguards
- Technical Safeguards
- HIPAA Breach Notification
- What if a Breach is Discovered?
- HIPAA Enforcement Rule
- HIPAA Enforcement Rule Penalties
- Recent Updates to HIPAA Opioid Crisis
- Recent Updates to HIPAA Cloud Computing
- Real Life Examples of HIPAA Breach and Violations
- HIPAA Implications for HCIRs
- Common Questions Regarding HIPAA as it Applies to HCIRs
- HCIRs Scenarios
- End of Course Exam
Course Content Example 1:
What is HIPAA?
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996
- Created over 20 years ago, HIPAA had two objectives:
- To provide health insurance coverage for individuals leaving or changing jobs
- To save money and increase efficiency of the health care system by creating standards for electronic transactions, such as computerized physician order entry, electronic health records, electronic access to claims information and payment
- These objectives caused concerns regarding the privacy and security of individual health information, so HIPAA legislation helped create rules to address this
- Modifications have been made to HIPAA over the last 20+ years as a result of the HITECH Act of 2009 and the Omnibus Fine Rule of 2013. These changes included:
- Strengthening existing HIPAA requirements for Privacy and Security
- Expanded individual's rights relating to their Protected Health Information (PHI)
- Increased enforcement of HIPAA, including higher fines for non-compliance
- Addressed notification of breaches of PHI
Course Content Example 2:
HIPAA Implications for HCIRs
It is important to determine if an HCIR's job duties requires access to PHI and if so, privacy and security measures should be taken.
Some ways to ensure proper handling of PHI include:
- Don't be negligent with any type of patient information whether written, oral, or electronic
- Make sure to properly dispose of or shred any documents that contain PHI
- Set Security codes on smart phones or automatic locks on computers that contain PHI
- Only transmit emails with PHI over a secured network
Download Certificate of Completion Immediately
3 Attempts to Pass Your Exam
Instant Access: 100% Online - Access 24/7 from Anywhere
No Recurring Fees