Faculty: Erin Azuse, RN BSN
Successful Completion: Complete entire module, complete the exam with a passing score of 80% or better, and complete the evaluation form
Estimated Time to Complete Activity: 60 minutes
CEUs: HIPAA Exams is authorized by IACET to offer 0.10 CEUs for this program. CEU Information
This course is designed to provide Health Care Industry Representatives with a solid understanding of HIPAA legislation. Though Health Care Industry Representatives will have varying levels of access to Protected Health Information, it is extremely important that they understand how to provide for the privacy and security of this sensitive information.
- Describe the purpose of HIPAA legislation
- Explain the changes implemented by the Omnibus Final Rule
- Identify the key elements of the Privacy, Security, and Enforcement Rule
- Explain the process for Breach Notification
- Illustrate how HIPAA affects his/her role as a Health Care Industry Representitive
Medical Device Sales and Service Professionals, Medical Equipment Sales and Service Professionals, Pharma Sales Professionals
How does this apply to a Health Care Industry Representative?
•The answer to this question will vary.
•Each Health Care Industry Representative (HCIR) and their employer need to determine if they meet the criteria of a Covered Entity or Business Associate
•Often pharmaceutical and medical sales representatives do not need access to Protected Health Information (PHI) for their routine activities and therefore would not be subject to HIPAA legislation
•Yet, if pharmaceutical or medical device company does require access to PHI, it will be subject to HIPAA legislation
•For example, if a medical device company conducts a patient outcome analyses for a physician group, they would be acting as a Business Associate and should have a Business Associate Agreement.
•HCIRs may also have incidental exposure to PHI as part of their job duties
•For example, a sales rep working in the OR may overhear some confidential patient information, so it is important to understand how to protect the privacy of this information
•More will be covered on incidental exposure on a later slide
- • Instant Certificate Of Completion Printing Upon Successful Completion Of Online HIPAA for HCIRs (Sales Professional) Training Course
- • Free Retakes on Exam Until You Pass
- • Instant Access: 100% Online - Access 24/7 from Anywhere
- • No Recurring Fees